Internet/Computer Acceptable Use Policy
1. Internet access as an information source at Faulkner/Van Buren Regional Library significantly supplements the library’s existing collection and extends the library’s commitment to enriching life, fostering literacy, stimulating imagination, and inspiring lifelong learning for all area residents. However, while most of the information accessed can be valuable and enlightening, the user may also find materials that are unreliable, personally offensive, or illegal. The library cannot police a global network, and each individual user must take responsibility for his or her own activities on the Internet and for the activities of his or her children.
2. “Computer” shall include any library computer used for any purpose, including with limitation, word processing purposes, or for Internet and electronic mail use. Use of library computers is subject to the library’s Code of Conduct.
3. Patrons may not utilize the library’s computers in violation of any local, state or federal ordinances, regulations or laws, including any activities in violation of Arkansas Codes §5-68-501, §5-68-302, §5-41-103 and U.S. copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
4. Patrons are prohibited from damaging or destroying equipment, software, or data belonging to the library or to other users, including adding, altering or deleting files on library workstation hard drives or other library computer equipment.
5. In order to provide equitable patron access, session length and number of sessions per day may be limited. All computer sessions, regardless of length, count towards the session number total.
6. Patrons must respect the privacy and sensibilities of other users. Patrons are prohibited from engaging in any activity which is deliberately and maliciously offensive, libelous, or slanderous.
7. Printing is available for a per page fee from most computer workstations.
8. To preserve patron privacy and to ensure system functionality, software or files are not permanently saved to the hard disk of any computer. Personal software may NOT be installed on library computers. Work may be saved to a USB device.
9. The library does not provide support for patron’s equipment that is connected to the library’s computers and does not assume any liability for those devices’ functionality, contents, or serviceability.
10. The library does not monitor and cannot control information accessed by patrons through the Internet. Parents and guardians are responsible for guiding their children’s use of the Internet. Parents may wish to visit sites such as www.safekids.com for suggestions on child safety on the Internet.
11. Faulkner/Van Buren Regional Library is committed to providing an environment free from harassment. Users may not display on screens and/or print materials that may be unlawful or prohibited under any applicable federal, Arkansas or local laws.
12. Library staff will offer searching suggestions and patron assistance and time permits. However, staff may not always be available to provide individual training concerning Internet use or computer skills. Interested patrons are encouraged to use manuals and guides available in the library and to attend library-sponsored programs about computer use.
13. Compliance Procedures:
a. Violation of the policies and regulations that govern the use of the library’s public access computers or Internet resources may result in suspension or loss of the privilege to use these resources.
b. Any illegal activity involving the library’s resources or equipment will be subject to prosecution by the appropriate authorities and may result in permanent loss of privileges.
c. The library reserves the right to take appropriate actions to ensure compliance with this policy.